Vegas History Video: The Construction and Mounting of The MINT Signage

Mint Signage

A gem of a youtube find: The Birth of a Giant – The Mint Signage

Every so often I find a priceless gem of Las Vegas history on youtube that steals my attention and makes me think of a time I was born too late for. The following videos document the construction and mounting of the MINT signage in Downtown Las Vegas. If there were two signs I wish I could go back in time to see, it would be the Stardust’s and the MINT’s. Binions took over the Mint, and with it, the signage was taken down and carted away. Had the MINT sign still been up, that would have caused issues for the Fremont Street canopy for sure. The Mint’s swerving signage topped off at 96 feet.

Each video isn’t long at all, about 10 minutes. To watch the sign being hoisted into place in Downtown Las Vegas, go to Part 2.

[Cover: Frank Romeo, go and see his wonderful classic Vegas photography]

About the Author

Michael Movestro
Michael Movestro is an award-winning composer and Las Vegas enthusiast. A long time reader of Vegas Chatter, Michael started Vegas Bright to continue the tradition when Chatter cashed out. Michael is proud to serve as Vegas Bright's Editor in Chief.

14 Comments on "Vegas History Video: The Construction and Mounting of The MINT Signage"

1. Chris in Nashville | May 4, 2017 at 7:02 am |

Fantastic! Simpler times for sure.

2. Toni in DFW | May 4, 2017 at 7:59 am |

Interesting story. I remember references to The Mint in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Also didn’t realize Del Webb got his start in casinos before he started building retirement communities.

• Michael Movestro | May 4, 2017 at 10:37 pm |

Fun fact, he also owned the New York Yankees for a while and the Sahara!

3. Hugh C. McBride | May 4, 2017 at 9:28 am |

Oh, this is magnificent. Definitely agree that The Mint is one of the great “lost” signs from Vegas’s past. Really cool to see it in it’s earliest days here.

• Michael Movestro | May 4, 2017 at 10:32 pm |

Those videos are pure gold in my book. I could just imagine what it might have been like to that sign in person…

4. EnuffBull | May 4, 2017 at 10:40 am |

Beautiful! I love rediscovering mid-century modern design, especially the hotel logos and signage from across the country. Thanks for sharing!

5. ROBERT MILLER | May 4, 2017 at 5:08 pm |

Notice near the end they mention Sammy Boyd as gaming director at The Mint. He later developed The California (1975) and established Boyd Gaming.

6. MisterJJ | May 5, 2017 at 6:44 am |

Holy OSHA violation! Love the assembly part.

7. Christine Wyman | May 5, 2017 at 7:47 am |

Brings tears to your eyes to see this video!! Thank you so much for sharing this history…

8. When they hauled the old neon away, where did they take it? Does the neon museum have it?

• Michael Movestro | May 5, 2017 at 4:58 pm |

That’s a very good question. I haven’t seen any of the letters in any pics from the neon museum. They certainly don’t have the tall structure.

Comments are closed.